Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dentist Update

OK. So much to my embarassment, what I didn't tell you about the dentist is that Max has cavities! To be honest I am not surprised. He has been bad in the past with taking his toothbrush and hiding it so then we don't have one. Last week he even flushed it down the toilet (which is still giving us trauma). Miraculously, after the dentist visit he now enjoys brushing his teeth. He has given me no troubles and the toothbrush has stayed put away the entire week. Let's hope this keeps up. My frustration is that when I booked the dentist I told him Max is 3 and has never been to the dentist. They said that would be fine. Then, after they looked at him they said that they think he has 3 cavities (although they didn't take x-rays), but for small children they can't do anything, he would need to see a pediatric dentist. They did recommend work as his teeth won't fall out for a couple years. So, this morning we went to the dentist AGAIN! This time we went to a pediatric dentist. I have to tell you...I am super impressed. It is Dr. Howell in Orem. He is in the same parking lot as Zion's Bank on 800 North, right next to Aspen Dental. It was amazing! Everything is built to kid size. They immediately let him choose a movie, the dental chairs were small, they were even able to get him to have x-rays. He acted like he had known them forever. He was hardly shy. They were SO good with him! The doctor confirmed that he does have 3 cavities. The surprising thing is he said most of the 3 year olds he sees for the first time have around 12! OK, so my bad mother feeling has just dropped 75%. The sad thing is, most likely they will have to knock him out to fix them because kids that little just can't do it with just laughing gas. I am not looking forward to that. We have a consultation with him on Monday to ask any questions we want so I will know more then. I will keep you posted. Also, if you want to try this fantastic dentist, let me know. I have 2 free toothbrushes with referral cards. If you take in the referral card then you get a free exam and cleaning the first time (if I understand it right). Pretty sweet! Let me know if you want one.

6 comments:

The Scotts said...

They had to knock teg out when he was that little, and it was so tramatic for me and him. Make sure you talk to the dentist and ask him how he's going to knock him out, there are more then one option out there. Teg's doctor distracted him and pricked him in the hip with the drugs. He didn't see it coming and wasn't happy. Good luck!

The Andersons: said...

We have a great pediatric dentist in Springville that the kids totally love. Alex has had two cavities at different times, but both when he was four. They didn't have to knock him out, but he is a mild tempered boy and they were only filling one, it took less than five minutes. Pediatric dentists are worth the extra trip to the dentist!

Knowles Family said...

I don't mean to burst your bubble - but we had Dr. Howell around 4 years ago. He did surgery on Talbie when her front 4 teeth had to be crowned. That went well, but later on she had to have 2 teeth pulled and it was very traumatic for her - and ME! Very long story short, he pulled the teeth before she was even numb because he was in a hurry. She kept screaming as his assistants were holding her down and I was trying to calm her down. Then he'd open her mouth and give her more shots into her gums (as I watched) and then begin pulling again - before the shots had a chance to work and get her more numb. She let out blood curdling screams until the teeth were pulled. It was just awful! I just wanted to tell you this experience we had with him. Also - this is his 3rd office since we've seen him. I don't know what's up with that?

Suzy said...

I have had a dentist switch offices a lot too. Mainly it is because the older buildings don't offer options like laughing gas, so they move around. I am not too nervous, I will explore our options. If we think he can do it without being knocked out then we'll definately go with that option. He was definately patient, so hopefully he has learned through the years.

kellyanded said...

I am sorry that Max has to be knocked out (maybe). That would be so hard for me. There is a really good pediatric dentist in Draper by chuck-a-rama. You would have to come up here, but if you didn't feel totally comfortable. It is called out of this world dentistry they have a website. They have tons of stuff for the kids. It is like walking into Jimmy Neutron's place. It is where my kids go, but they go to the West Jordan location.

alisha peterson said...

When tyler was that age he had to be knocked out. Our dentist did it in his office, they gave him sleep juice and he was out and wake up was not to bad. he got to eat a lot of popsicles. the worst part for me was waiting and wondering what it was going to be like after he woke up. even that wasn't to bad. good luck