Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Great Kindergarten Debate

So, Max was supposed to be born at the end of September and that would have meant he would miss the school deadline. He would start school at age 5, but would turn 6 a month later. This didn't bother me because I am the same way. I loved being older and I loved being able to date and drive all of high school.

Anyway, Max came early and his birthday is August 13th. This is about a week before school starts. This means he can technically go to Kindergarten next year. I am so torn on this issue and I have heard all sorts of opinions why I should and shouldn't enroll him on time. I thought I would have a little longer to think it over, but Kindergarten registration is next month! I am curious as to your opinions. I have put a poll on and you are also welcome to comment. Here are some of the things I view as pros and cons.

On Time (2010-2011 school year)
Pros: He starts on time, no more preschool fees, great social opportunity, he is smart and may be ready to start, wouldn't be bored in school (maybe), would have a whole year after graduating to get in some school before a mission. If I start him and he is not ready he can do 2 years of kindergarten, which is cheaper than preschool.

Cons: He might fall behind. He is pretty young for any sports and small for them too, so he would always be playing with the "younger" kids. I wouldn't see him as much.

Late Start (2011-2012 school year)
Pros: Cheaper, I don't have to pay for more preschool. He would graduate and go right on a mission, no trouble with girls. He could drive and date his whole high school time. He would be standard size and age for sports.

Cons: He will be the youngest in the class, he won't be able to date or drive his whole sophomore year. He might be bored and get into trouble. He would have to go right on a mission and not get any school in. He would need another year of preschool.

Tell me what you think. I will still decide with Shane, but it is always interesting to hear other's thoughts.

10 comments:

Pays said...

I had the same struggle with my little boy. His birthday is in tbe middle of May. I actually opted not to send him this year. So he will be the oldest in his class. You are thinking about some of the same issues that I was. I didn't want him to be the last to date, the last to drive, etc. Also, a huge thing to take into fact with boys is their maturity level. That was a huge factor for my boy. Anyway, I am so glad that I waited one more year before sending him. I enrolled him in a five year old program at his preschool, that has helped a ton. I can tell a big difference and know that he will be ready this year. Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to give me a call.

Knowles Family said...

i would say to wait and send him the next year. That's what I would do :)

Natalie said...

In Colorado the deadline is June 1st and my little girls birthday is near the end of May. One of the 2 kindergarten teachers thinks you should hold kids that close to the deadline back. I totally disagree. She's so ready! If I hold her back she'll be 19 when she graduates. Ick! I was almost 19 and hated it! Plus she's smart and social and will totally blossom being in school.

But look at your son, no one knows him as well as you. Is he socially ready? Do you think he'd do well even being the youngest? If yes to those then send him off...if you're not sure then hold him back.

Good luck!

kellyanded said...

I say sign him up and send him. If you feel he can't do it within the first month or so of school take him out and wait another year. There is nothing wrong with trying. He might love to be in school with other kids and go off to the "big school". Either way Max is smart and will be good either way. If they feel he needs more one on one, they will have him go all day. If they feel he knows more than he will go half day. I say it's worth a shot. Maybe he won't like it if he feels like you are holding him back. Think about it this way, How does HE feel? Isn't that what's most important? If you ask him does he say he's ready or is it just you holding him back because he's your baby boy. Sorry if that came out offensive, I do not mean it that way. Just giving my two cents. Hope this helps.

The Scotts said...

Tegan's birthday was the cut off and here it's Dec. 2nd. He was 4 1/2 when he started. We put him and I worked really hard with him all year. He did great, but his maturity was still young by the end of the year, so we held him back. I think it was the best choice for us, the second time around he had a huge advantage and it was a lot easier for him which gave him a lot of confidence. I think it's up to the parent. You know your child better then anyone. If you think he's ready put him in. Just go into it with the idea that maybe he might be held back and that's ok. Good Luck!

Baller family said...

I say, look at how he is doing in preschool. Both my kids are young and honestly it was good for Kabren. With Treyson I wonder if he is ready. He says he is ready and is so excited but I on the other hand wonder. It is probably just what he needs though. You can always have him go to 2 years of Kindergarten if he is not quite ready. I think it would be good to give it a try and see how he does. Good luck. It's always so hard as a parent trying to figure out what is best for our children. No one knows better though than you and Shane so stick with your instincts and pray about it. Love ya

Michelle said...

In your shoes, I would go ahead and put him in kindergarten this upcoming year and that could give him a little leeway in case he needs to be held back at any point in the future. Just a heads up though...kindergarten has become much more educational and demanding than it was in our day. It surprised me when my oldest kid went. I'd had lower expectations. And Mrs. R at our school is an absolutely divine teacher, just in case you were wondering.

Julie said...

If I had the same decision for one of my kids, I would probably hold him back a year. I would rather have my kids be one of the older kids in their grades.

Lori said...

I would wait! We had the same debate with our oldest. I am SO glad we chose to wait. Every child is different, but I would go with your gut feeling.

Alison said...

I am a little late on this one...I'd definately go with how he is doing in preschool. If he's doing everything and if he seems like he needs more of a challenge I'd send him on time. Connor is small in his grade but he loves Kindergarten.