Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Surgery Follow-up

So I went to the doctor yesterday for my follow up. He showed me a picture he drew during surgery of how everything looks. It is a little different than I was hearing after the surgery, but that was also not from the doctor. He said it still is a septated uterus, but the septum reached the entire length, when before they thought it was just partial. He tried to get to a certain location and couldn't with the large scopes they use. Their scopes are larger because they hold scissors. He said they have a smaller scope in office that they can use for exploratory purposes, but not for the main surgery. At the end of the month I will go into the doctor's office and they will not knock me out, but will do some type of numbing and use the small scope to just make sure there really is nothing they can do. To be honest it would have been nice if they would have had both scopes at the surgery so they could have just known then and if it was possible they could have done it. Little frustrating. He said he wouldn't hold my breath, that most likely it would not be fixable. He said that if it can't be fixed this is what I am left with:
1. A septated uterus.
2. The septum would cover 1/3 of the uterus.
3. Should a baby implant on that 1/3 of the uterus it would miscarry.
4. Should a baby implant on the other 2/3 of the uterus the pregnancy would last with the same risks of miscarriage as other people.
5. He said that most cases as this the uterus has been stretched from prior pregnancy and therefore any future pregnancy stands a chance to make it further than the last pregnancy. Since my last pregnancy went to 32 weeks before my water broke and they were able to keep him in for an additional week for his growth, there could be a good chance I could make it to at least 33 weeks and keep a baby in for an additional week, delivering at 34 weeks, which is actually not too bad.

So, basically, the biggest issue is my high rate of miscarriage. Shane and I just need to decide together what we are willing to put by body through and not willing to put my body through. We have also received adoption paperwork from LDS Family Services to look at all our options. I'll let you know what we find after my next appointment.

5 comments:

Holli's Blog said...

Tough choices. We adopted our Jackson. It was an awesome experience and he was meant to be our little boy!

kellyanded said...

I am sorry you are going through some tough choices right now. You are always in our thoughts.

Baller family said...

I am sorry that you have to go through this experience. That would definately be hard to deal with. Thank goodness for the gospel in your lives and the ability to pray to our Heavenly Father and have Him guide you.

Tropicanna said...

Suzy...you are awesome and being so positive about this (I know...I live with you). Good luck with everything :) Love you!

Amber said...

Good luck! I hope you hear good news. Fertility stuff is so stressful and emotional.