What do you believe if you are a conservative?
1. Traditional family values and the sanctity of marriage
My religion has tried to stay out of politics unless the politics are against the commandments of God and could adversly affect our religion. They have recently supported the passing of Proposition 8 in California. I believe that as a good member of my church I will support my church and the beliefs of my church. Click here to see my religion's stand on The Family. I believe as a member of my church I should live by their standards and not the world's. I should also remember that they say to live in the world and not of the world. It is ok for me to love a person, and not believe the same things as them. I do not have to support things my religion doesn't support, in order to show love to a friend or family member.
2. A small, non-invasive government
I believe that the people should be able to govern themselves. There are certain freedoms that are taken away when the government steps in. We must also remember that in a democracy it isn't always where everyone gets every freedom, often, the majority rules. It is because of this, that I feel government should stay out of issues such as whether or not Christmas songs can be sung in school. This is a personal decision that should be determined by those participating in the singing at the school (and their parents) and not by the government to change everyone's rights, which in the long run can infringe on the majorities' rights in order not to offend the minority.
3. A strong national defense focused on protection and the fight against terrorism
We have a responsibility as a free nation to protect and fight against anything that would threaten our nation, our freedom, or the freedom of others. While I don't feel we have a responsibility to step in for all situations, I do feel that there are times to fight and there are times to clean up messes. Leaving our messes or setting restrictions on ourselves for ending combat only give the upper hand to the terrorists. For our current war, should we set a deadline of when we are to be out, this just lays all our cards on the table for our enemies to see. There are things that are best left to those who know what they are doing and not to the average Joe off the street. World War II was a long, large war. Fortunately much of this was not caught on camera or perhaps we would have ended things before Normandy and walked away like so many want to do today. Get the cameras out of the war zones and let our Nation protect our interests and fight against terrorism and finish what we have started...the right way.
4. A commitment to faith and religion
Regardless of religion, I feel it is important to be committed to your religion. It is through our Faith in God that we will feel a desire to make ourselves and others around us happy and good members of society.
5. The right to life for every human being
For the view of my church click here. In addition, the church feels that abortion is only for circumstances which are not for personal or social convenience. These options can be discussed with church clergy. Education should be out there to teach abstinence. Parents should be the main source of sex education, but I understand the need to have secondary sources. I believe, however, that these sources should be teaching abstinence, with protection as a secondary note. The choice to have a child or not to have a child does not come after conception, it comes when you decide to have sex.
6. Fiscally responsible government
I believe that governments should be fiscally responsible. It is important to be responsible in taxing (a necessary evil), and responsible in our spending.
My point in all of this is that I think if most of us look at this, while your personal views may differ from mine, these main 6 things are how most of us feel our government should be. I believe the majority of people are in fact conservatives. Right now I think people think they are Democrat instead of Republican because they are frustrated with what has been happening in our government. If you look, however, at what has been happening in our nation we would all see that the issue is not people being Conservative, but the Republicans not being conservative enough. They have tried to meet too far in the middle and have often leaned too far to the left and have lost the fundamentals of being conservative. If Republicans can return to their conservative roots, I believe they can regain control of the House, Senate, and the Executive Branch and we can have a great nation. I just hope that these next 4 years don't hurt us more.
5 comments:
Amen Sista!
100% agreed!
I am not sure the republicans have been very conservative in spending. Look at the deficit.
My point was that the Republicans haven't been acting like conservatives, they have been being liberal with spending, etc. It was made worse when the Democrats took over the house because they handle the spending. If the republicans will return to their conservative roots, we'll have far less confusion on who is conservative. I hope that makes sense.
Well written. I agree.
Post a Comment